The K-8 Equity Steering Committee Update:
The Equity Steering Committee is comprised of students, teachers, administrators, and parents from the Easthampton elementary and middle schools. We’ve been tasked to envision our new preK-8 community.
This envisioning process asks us to consider all facets of a truly inclusive school community.
Collaboratively, we have utilized a framework that requires us to:
- Design at the margins- to ensure access to learning and success of all members of our community by planning for marginalized groups (students of color, individuals with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, students of poverty, English learners, and other protected group members) thus benefitting all
- Start with yourself- to consider our own implicit bias, recognizing how bias impacts student learning and outcomes
- Cede power- to ensure that all voices are heard, especially student voice, so that power is held by all
- Make the invisible visible- to know and understand the historical narrative (story) and the design of our systems as well as the intentional and/or unintentional impact of those systems
- Speak to the future- to engage and invest in the ongoing process of envisioning, this being the culture of a community that values equity
OUR GROUP’S RESOURCES:
RESOURCES FOR BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS & WORKING WITH CONFLICT::
Courageous Conversations Protocol (From Soul Fire Farm)
Social Justice and Equity Resources: